Woodwind Quintet, Suite for Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon and Horn
Overture – Waltz – Children’s Song – March – Meriva (Quarrel) – Hora
Recorded by the Woodwind Quintet of the Kol Israel Symphony Orchestra (The Broadcasting Service Orchestra) in 1957.
Publisher: The Marc Lavry Heritage Society
Marc Lavry’s Woodwind Quintet consists of 6 short movements that demonstrate the composer’s masterful orchestration ability for each individual instrument and his talent for melding them into a beautiful ensemble.
The music is lively and full of humor. The themes of four of the six movements are based on popular Israeli and Jewish songs – a common practice of the composer.
- Overture – Allegretto: A lively exposition of the instruments
- Waltz – Moderato: Based on “Margariteclech”, a Yiddish song that became the known Hebrew song “Rakefet” (Cyclamen)
- Children’s Song – Andante Grazioso: In this movement Lavry used one of his children’s songs — Parpar Aviv (Spring Butterfly)
- March – Allegro Scherzando: Here Lavry incorporated a melody that his youngest daughter, Varda, “composed” to the lyrics of the popular children’s poem “Bo elai parpar nechmad” (Come to me, nice butterfly) by Fania Bergstein
- Meriva (Quarrel) – Allegro Furioso: A furious quarrel that ends peacefully
- Hora – Allegro Vivo: Leverages one of the composer’s most popular Hora dances; a quintessential Lavry finale
Anecdote: For an unknown reason, Marc Lavry did not record the Woodwind Quintet in his opus book and it is therefore lacking the opus number. But because the original recording is from 1957 we assume the composition was written the same year.
Lavry gave the original sheet music to the Woodwind Quintet of the Kol Israel Symphony Orchestra (The Broadcasting Service Orchestra) but unfortunately, as often happened, he didn’t keep a copy of the parts. The sheet music was lost, and only the recording and the draft outline remained. In 2011 Dor Fischer, a young musician from Haifa, Israel, reconstructed the sheet music from the recording for the Marc Lavry Heritage Society.
Salute Concert to Marc Lavry
June 17, 2012 8:30PM concert at the Enav Center in Tel-Aviv
Woodwind Quintet, Suite for Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon and Horn will be performed by
The Official Woodwind Quintet of the Academy for Music and Dance in Jerusalem:
Oshrat Dadon, Flute
Jose Cordero Cortes, Oboe
Yevgeni Karelin, Clarinet
Isaac Leyva Brenes, Bassoon
Adrian Arroyo Solis